Opinions about MAXIMUM_PARTS crippling in util-linux-2.11r-miscfixes.patch

DAVID BALAZIC david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Tue Sep 9 13:49:23 UTC 2003

From: James Olin Oden <joden at malachi.lee.k12.nc.us>

>On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>
>> Hello James,
>>
>> > Don't care about the user, I want the fdisk program to allow the maximum
>> > partitions on a per drive basis.
>>
>>  The problem is MAXIMUM_PARTS is a constant, and the length of some arrays
>> are based on this constant. This means you would also have to introduce a
>> variable maximum_parts to use in equations.
>>
>Sounds like that is fairly doable.  I might have time this week to look
>into this.

You actually believe this limit has a purpose ?
So when somebody tries to use a linux rescue CD to partition a SCSI disk
for a non-crippled OS that supports more than 16 partitions, he won't be
able to do that ?

I guess I'll switch to parted :-)

Regards,
David

P.S.: It is even more fun when you list a disk with more
than 16 partitions ( "fdisk -l" ) and fdisk kindly informs
you that the partitions above 16 were deleted...