Nautilus still doesn't do wildcards?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 08:08:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 23:37, Thomas Dodd wrote:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:58:38PM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:
> >
> >>Is anyone, especially upstream developers, working on it?
> >>Is the a plan for nautilus, expected features and rought ideas on when
> >>they will be worked on? Or is development of new features completly
> >>random and hap-hazard?
>
> >   There is no answer to the question, "when will X be finished?" or
> >   "will feature X be implemented?" The answer to both questions is "when
> >   and if someone does the work." If the someone is you, then you know
>
> So nobody is directing development of nautilus similar to to
> OpenOffice.org,Mozilla, or GIMP where there are planned features for
> later release which get priority attention for the developers. Sure,
> other features are developed too, but those projects usually have a set
> of features being worked on or planned.

I'm the maintainer, and as such I direct the development. I have a list
of important stuff that has to be worked on. We have certain prioritized
features that we hope to work on for the next release.

However there just aren't that many developers (two basically), and I
also maintain other gnome packages, and have many other responsibilities
in Red Hat (such as fixing bugs in the betas). So, even if something is
prio one for the nautilus developers there is no guarante when it will
be worked on.

> So, to the best of your knowledge, no one is currently working on
> wildcard support? Know if anyone has attempted it in the recent past?

Its on my todo list (along with many other things). Nobody else have
expressed interest in working on it.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a notorious skateboarding boxer from the Mississippi delta. She's a
strong-willed belly-dancing mercenary from out of town. They fight crime!