Latest Rawhide Kernel Version

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 16:32:30 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 11:07, Paul Morgan wrote:
> Can an RH beta kernel developer clarify &/or expand the following
> statement:
>
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2040.nptl is the most recent beta kernel and is in fact
> newer than kernel-2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl, which was available for a
> time on RHN before being removed.
>
> Following the rhl-beta-list I had thought that RH changed the version
> numbering on the kernel, but recent comments from other subscribers
> indicate otherwise (their confusion or mine?).

I'm not a kernel developer, but I have a pretty good handle on the
numbering.

The old numbering scheme went something like this:

kernel-2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl

where 2.4.22 is the kernel.org base version,
20 is a variable that was used at one point to prevent conflicts between
internal kernel package trees
1.2024 is the build number
2.36 is another build number (these two were originally merged as
1.2024.2.36)
and the .nptl signifies that the kernel has NPTL in it.

Since we don't need most of this anymore (legacy), we opted to go ahead
and clean it out now.

This leaves us with: kernel-2.4.22-1.2040.nptl

Where 2.4.22 is the kernel.org base tree
1.2040 is the build number (note, newer than 1.2024)
and the .nptl means that it include NPTL.

A lot simpler. :)

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"The author's mathematical treatment of the conception of purpose is
novel and highly ingenious, but heretical and, so far as the present
social order is concerned, dangerous and potentially subversive. Not to
be published." -- Aldous Huxley