Installing Severn on a Sony 505VE laptop - broken?

Stephan Schutter rhl at farorbit.com
Fri Sep 12 20:38:28 UTC 2003

I have noticed a problem with performance. Linux used to have a reputation
for performance; I can see this clearly in services like DHCP, DNS, and
untill recently apache (Win2003 IIS is faster). But on the desktop I have
experienced the oposite:

RHL + DDE or Gnome as a desktotp:

1. Bootup time: 	Windows 98, ME and XP boot up in almost half the
time. Timings are more or less the same with Win2000.

2. RAM usage: 		RHL has the same if not higher Requirements.

Example:

on a dell Lattitude, RAM:128, CPU:333MHZ, Disk:10GIG;
RHL is usable but verry slow (even after running hdparm). The end
user experience is not very good; Win98, ME, are lightning fast by
contrast on the same system. WinXP is slightly faster than RHL on this
system (even with all the GUI effects on).

Performance impressions are gagued on Bootup time, Login time, app startup
time, screen feedback (menu snappiness).

This really removes the incentive for a corporate move to RHL on desktop
systems since there is a lot of hardware out there with the above
specifications.

So the question follows, ofcource: hos do you report this type of
information and is any one at RH working on performance?

./SLS