Re: Dead keys doesnt work on Severn "NÃO INFORMAÇÃO (just a test)"

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 17:25:25 UTC 2003

On Sep 15, 2003, Thiago Vinhas de Moraes <thiago at jampanight.com.br> wrote:

> Ok. I'm going to send you a few words with dead keys, and you check it
> on Outlook.

> matéria, gráficos, botões, opção, conteúdo

This all looks correct to me.

> It appears lile:
> matéria, gráficos, botões, opção, conteúdo

This is exactly how UTF-8 looks like if you display it as ISO-8859-1.

Your message displays correctly in my mailer.  The non-ASCII
characters in the subject are encoded as ISO-8859-1:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22N=C3O?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_INFORMA=C7=C3O?=

Note that the encoding is part of the subject, just as specified in
the MIME specs, and the non-ASCII characters are encoded as `=´
followed by a pair of hex digits representing the character number in
the chosen encoding.

As for the body, it's encoded in UTF-8, and the Content-Type header
says so:

Therefore, any MIME-compliant mailer should be able to display the
content correctly.  Any mailer that doesn't display them properly is
broken or misconfigured.  If it was a text-user-interface mailer, it
could be a symptom of misconfiguration of the terminal, but this is
not the case of Outlook Express.

As for instant messaging, I'm not aware of standards specifying
standard character encoding, or defining inline encoding
specifications like MIME, so I can't tell whether it's just a
limitation in the protocol or brokenness of applications on either
end.

--
Alexandre Oliva, GCC Team, Red Hat