Include MPlayer in beta?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 17:18:09 UTC 2003

> > b) MPlayer is saying it is GPL.  If he decides to try to use patents to
> > prevent distribution it is no longer GPL (see mp3 discussions).
>
> Are you saying that patenting something in a product retroactively
> revokes the GPL license for all prior releases?

The GPL has specific clauses to prevent a patent owner hijacking
free software. If I release code that has patent issues I must either
grant the patent rights for GPL use (if I can) and/or put a restriction on
the code by countries. (Eg my WAP irc tools are 'non USA' because of bogus
US patents)

Some people will grant GPL use of patents, IBM for example has granted GPL use
of several patents.