Security Level Config Tool

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Sat Sep 20 08:39:06 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:42:55PM -0500, Epps, Aaron M. wrote:
>     Why isn't there a checkbox for Samba in this tool?  I'm assuming
> that most people use Samba by default and you have to open ports 137-139
> to get "Network Browsing" to work correctly, right?  While the process
> of manually editing /etc/sysconfig/iptables is not difficult, I'm
> wondering why Samba was left out of this tool.

Possibly you'd only run samba on a trusted interface,
redhat-config-securitylevel/lokkit provides a simple policy driven
interface.  lokkit/redhat-config-securitylevel-tui provides the
additional ports section, currently the interaction between lokkit and
/etc/sysconfig/redhat-config-securitylevel isn't 100%, I'll do some more
probing and hit bugzilla.

In addition, I'm considering RFE'ing the ability to add a masquerading
interface for people running home networks, in combination with trusted
intefaces this should provide a reasonable level of ease to setup.
Although there may be good reason why this isn't done at the moment.

Paul