What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ... packages due to licensing issues"

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 18:34:58 UTC 2003

Randall J. Parr (RParr at TemporalArts.COM) said:
> Yes, there are but they are limited and/or carry with them considerable
> problems/conflicts.
> The very problems/conflicts which Fedora was really starting to solve
> (for me).

Fedora Linux (http://www.fedora.us/) provided a framework for the
posting of any packages. I don't see how it would be impossible for
an external third party repository to use the same structure and
framework.

> Killing off such a step forward for Red Hat users with a vague "I'm sure
> there will be ..."
> seems short-sighted and/or selfish (of Red Hat).

Well, to put it a different way, I personally feel (warning: Not Speaking
for Red Hat), that it's better for the success of open source and Red Hat
for Red Hat not to be sued into oblivion. :) I may be biased, though.

And, from a legal standpoint, Red Hat just can't be providing such software.

Bill