What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Randall J. Parr RParr at TemporalArts.COM
Mon Sep 22 20:32:26 UTC 2003

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:48:43PM +0200, Maynard Kuona wrote:
>

>>am no longer encoding my cds into mp3, but I have so many mp3's, it is a
>>hassle to to this nicely with Redhat. How much does the license cost. Is
>>it not $50,000 for the perpetual license.
>>

>If the issue is mp3 support, you can just hop over to freshrpms.net
>and get it there.

No I can't. That is, in fact, my point. Most of the freshrpms.net stuff
requires ALSA, which requires kernel modules, which means I can no
longer "up2date" that system without breaking the sound, etc., etc.

I have tried, repeatedly to use freshrpms.net stuff but have constantly
run into the above problems and/or conflicts with other stuff from other
repositories.  Yes, I can rebuild them or build them from source but the
whirlpools seems to just spin faster then.

On the other hand, Fedora, until now, has allowed me to very quickly and
easily extend my standard Red Hat 7, 8, and 9 servers/workstations while
encounter few if any of these problems. It has really, really been nice.
But now it ends and I am thrown back into the whirlpool.

It has been very, very nice install Fedora yum/apt and be able to tell
my customers, my sister, my wife, "Just do ..." and presto, changeo, you
can play your MP3's or watch your DVD's. They really don't do so well
when I pass on to them the typical answer from these lists of "just
install all this stuff from freshrpms, reconfigure your modules.conf,
maybe rebuild your kernel, and it 'just works', Yeah, right"

R.Parr, RHCE
Temporal Arts