What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 21:54:07 UTC 2003

> repository conflicts, etc. but Fedora is providing a solution for that
> as well. Only you've now absorbed the best such option into Red Hat thus
> rendering it unable to solve these problems any more. And (here's my
> primary point) you did so without providing or arranging for any
> alternative that does solve the problem.

Fedora being US based is not a solution and was not a solution for those
non US citizens entitled to use some things that US citizens are forbidden.
Its no different to everything else - multiregion DVD players are the norm
except in the USA, but that doesn't mean US citizens can safely import
them or that the ability to import them 'solves the problem'

For non US citizens solving the problem means solving it outside the USA
without US companies help.

> I'm frustrated. It seems every time we start to get close to solid,
> useable, way to build/expand/maintain a full-featured Red Hat
> workstation/desktop it is snatched away.

If parts of your system are in violation of local law they are neither
usable nor a solution.

The internet exists because people had the guts to refuse more featureful
proprietary networks and put up with the inconvenience of change, the
move to commodity open audio and video protocols depends on and will follow
the same paths.

There is more to doing the right thing than instant gratification.

Alan