Memo: Red Hat Linux & Fedora (fwd)

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Wed Sep 24 18:43:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 11:50, Mark W. Jeanmougin wrote:
> Here is a memo that I sent to my employers where I outline how we will be
> affected by the Fedora / Red Hat merger.  Like many other companies out
> there, we have RHL deployed without paying Red Hat for support.
>
> Hopefully others will be able to correct any factual errors I have.  I
> hope that someone else may be able to use this to inform their management
> of upcoming changes.

<snip...>

<snip...>

The only things I would add in there would be:

1) While Red Hat will not be providing *support* for Fedora (the
community will do this), Red Hat *will* be providing updates for Fedora
via RHN. A number of third-party repositories in the community will also
carry add-ons (is that the correct term?) to Fedora. These third parties
may or may not make their repositories available free of charge,
although it looks like the majority will be free at the moment.

2) Red Hat intends that new features implemented in Fedora will likely
make their way into RHEL, either via updates to RHEL or via new releases
when they occur.

Can't think of anything else right now...

Anyone have other corrections / additions / deletions?

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,