Homebrew Severn ISOs

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 25 12:01:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Matthias Saou wrote:
>
> > > Oh, for those interested in DVD images, I wrote a script that massages
> > > the CD isos (or an FTP-like tree) and makes a DVD iso out of them. See:
> > >
> > > ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/mkdvdiso.sh
>
> Eek.
>
> I suppose we should look into producing & distributing a real DVD iso with
> the test releases (test2 doesn't have one). Space considerations are the
> main problem.
>
> In the meantime, that is a neat hack :)

i've just skimmed the script, so i might have missed something, but what
about this script makes it a "hack"?  actually, it seems pretty
straightforward:

  - figure out where the CD contents are
  - create a new DVD contents directory
  - copy over .discinfo (common oversight)
  - mkisofs ...
  - optionally implant MD5 checksum

what's so "hacky" about this?  just curious.

rday

p.s.  and, taking this one step further, is there a canonical site for
the more complicated process of customizing the most recent RH release?
you know, modifying comps.xml, "genhdlist" and so on.  is there a primary
source for that doc these days?  (i suspect asking on the anaconda list
would have been at least as appropriate.)