0.94 first impressions

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Fri Sep 26 00:02:01 UTC 2003

Just did a install (and finally fixed my partitioning so / isn't full all
the time due to /var being on the same tiny partition), here's what
I noticed:

+ Installer seems faster than it has been in the past, especially in
the package installation stage. Could be that this time the source .iso
images were on a separate drive, improvements in rpm/anaconda/kernel
or just my imagination. Oh well :-)

+ Choosing the packages I wanted was faster and easier than before.
I think I managed to get just about all obscure packages I
always want to installed apart from zsh (which I could have missed or
maybe there was no selection for it). In any case, looks like
a pretty good compromise between usability and powerfulness.

- Can't we finally get rid of Sendmail as the default MTA, I'd fell
so much better if postfix was the default listens-on-loopback-only MTA that
is unfortunately still needed (or is it these days?)

- Nice cursors in anaconda, although there was a pretty ugly
standard-X11-black&white one for a while. Also during package
install it was an arrow instead of some "I'm doing stuff" cursor, which is
probably wrong. Will bugzilla in the morning :-)

- Ethernet config stuff in the anaconda doesn't allow the IP-less
config used by PPPoE that redhat-config-network does. You need to either
give it an IP or tell it to use DHCP. Not sure what the best way to fix this
is, maybe network configuration could be done in
firstboot+redhat-config-network, not anaconda?

Again, I'll bugzilla in the morning.

And now it's time for some sleep, too unconscious to do any understandable
bug reports at this point ;-)

--
Pekka Pietikainen