quick (and perhaps foolish) question: MD4sum of CD

Leonard den Ottolander leonardjo at hetnet.nl
Fri Sep 26 15:00:09 UTC 2003

Hello Tom,

> "md5sum /dev/cdrom"

 Never realized it could be as easy as that :). I usually do a
dd if=/dev/cdrom | md5sum
 . Difference when using dd is that you could also specify a bs and count
which will avoid errors about sectors not found at the end of the disk.

> The problem with that is that it is possible for it to
> fail and the cd still be good or so I am told.

 Why would that be? Were you told that as well? The above mentioned errors
should not cause md5sum to produce a wrong result.

Bye,
Leonard.

--
How clean is a war when you shoot around nukelar waste?
Stop the use of depleted uranium ammo!