Compiling for CPU (was Re: Performance testing (pass 1))

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Fri Sep 26 16:42:09 UTC 2003

ByteEnable wrote:

>>1. If Open Source writes better software; then why is it fatter and
>>slower?
>>
>>2. Is any one at RHL working on desktop performance?
>>
>>These are some of the sugestione that I may need to answe to when I
>>present this and further data to my managers. Gys... what should I say?

One question I've always had is why Red Hat still compiles for i386
(march=i386 mcpu=i686 - ok, so they get i686 instruction ordering)? Once
upon a time, I rebuilt my entire RH 7.3 tree and a good portion of my RH
8.0 tree for i686 and/or athlon. I've also run Gentoo, compiled for
Athlon XP, which isn't as solid of a comparison, but is still a "Linux"
general comparison. In both Red Hat cases, there was an appreciable
difference, especially in X GUI "redraw" speed and application start
times. This was without prelinking. With prelinking and compiler
optimizations, it may be possible to bring these speeds much closer to
the "other brand" on the comparison.

Not to pit distros, but Mandrake compiles for i586 by default, though
they don't really give out any i686 or athlon specific packages (last I
checked). Given that Red Hat's minimum specd hardware is a Pentium class
machine with 64MB for text, and a PII 400 with 128MB more more for GUI
use, what would we have to lose by changing the default to compile as
march=i586 and mcpu=i686, or providing i686 versions of core components
of XFree86? I'm sure it "throws out" the few who like to build the
distro for 386 and 486 machines, but I feel the majority would benefit
and the minority could simply rebuild the SRPMs for i386 for their
specific application (would be a handful of packages at best since those
types of machiens probably wouldn't be running full-blown Gnome or KDE
desktops, but perhaps browser kiosks at best.

Thoughts?
-Rick
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)