XFree86 weirdness: no neomagic but fb?

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 26 17:33:30 UTC 2003

Hi,

Laptop is a Toshiba Tecra 8000 which works fine on RH9 at 1024x768,
24bpp with the neomagic driver straight out of the box. Just installed
beta2 (clean install). During install, the process would not get me
1024x768, 24bpp but something completely ugly.

I changed the /etc/X11/XF86Config to contain imho valid entries:
neomagic driver, 1024x768 resolution, 24 bit depth.

When it starts up it seems like it is doing the right thing but then
throttles back to a lower quality: the cross pointer gets all jagged,
fonts look terrible etc.

It shows in /var/log/XFree86.0.log that it uses the fb driver and *not*
the neomagic driver. The resulting screen looks pretty bad. This seems
b0rked to me. Running redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig and select
different combinations does not make a difference.

Any ideas how to fix this?

TIA,
Patrick