More 0.94 issues

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 26 17:52:35 UTC 2003

  First, I downloaded the ISOs, checked the md5 sums against the MD5SUM file,
and checked the signature of the MD5SUM file itself.  Then, after burning
the CDs, I checked the md5 sums on the CDs themselves with the dd command.
Everything was fine.  Then, after bringing the CDs home and running the
mediacheck, the first CD failed, the second passed, and the third failed.
So I downloaded the ISOs at home, and burned new copies at home, after
checking the ISO md5 sums again.  Upon doing the mediacheck, the exact same
CDs failed.  I decided to gamble that the problem was in the mediacheck
program, rather than the CDs themselves.
  I did an upgrade from beta1 to beta2, and though the system was basically
functional, I noticed some error messages on startup and shutdown, so I
decided to do a clean install.  Both the upgrade and the clean install
proceeded without errors, reinforcing my suspicion that there was something
wrong with the mediacheck program.
  I use DSL with PPPoE.  I configured the network connection to come up at
boot time, but this doesn't happen.  I can bring it up manually with
redhat-config-network, however.  Even though the ethernet interface is
activated after the PPP connection comes up, and ifconfig confirms this,
it's still shown as inactive in the GUI.  I'm not sure what the proper
configuration for the ethernet interface is, I previously had an IP-less
configuration where the ethernet interface comes up in response to PPPoE.
Name service didn't work.  I noticed that /etc/ppp/resolv.conf had been
automatically filled with two DNS server addresses, but /etc/resolv.conf
hadn't.  I took the two DNS addresses and manually entered them into
redhat-config-network under the DNS tab, and then these addresses made their
way into /etc/resolv.conf, so name service works.  The copying should
happen automatically, however.
  I'm not familiar with the software responsible for the above problems.
Which packages are likely to be responsible so I can file bug reports?

P.S. The metacity bug #104373 still manifests (same version metacity-2.5.3-3
as before).