DNS wildcards (was: Re: problems with samba 3)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Sep 26 23:54:48 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 07:22:09PM -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 15:28, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > A solution turned out to be to explictitely declare a name
> > resolution order to 'winbind lmhosts ....',
>
>   If your customer has control of his DNS server

Stop right here! :-)

> and it's running bind,

No, they are not running bind.

> then the delegation-only patch can be applied

I was pondering about that possibility, and I would do something of
that sort if I would have no other way out, but in this particular
situation that would meant other kind of trouble on a long run.  It
is much healthier if they do not run more than really necessary. :-)

Anyway, my response was just a suggestion that a reported Samba
trouble could have similar reasons and it is worth to check that.
It also good to keep that in mind if you see something like that
yourself.  It would definitely gain me some sleep hours ...

  Michal