Install didn't probe my ethernet card

sindre pedersen foolish at operamail.com
Sat Sep 27 12:56:56 UTC 2003

I chose to upgrade from my redhat 9 system to fedora test2. The install didn't locate my network-card, a RL-8139/8139C/8139C+ which left me without net. My ethernet model wasn't in the list of cards when I tried to add it using redhat-config-network.

I downloaded the latest stable kernel (using my other computer) and installed it. When I booted it, my networking card was in the list of cards.

I then rebooted, and here followes the funny part, as I was away from my keyboard for a minute, grub loaded the kernel that came with fedora test2, kernel-2.4.22-1.2061.nptl.

kudzu first asked me to remove my ethernet card, then told me to configure it. I added my card using redhat-config-network (it was in the list of cards now) and everything worked fine.

My question to you all is: How come I couldn't get the ethernet card to work at first, but installing the latest stable kernel fixed it?

Cheers

Sindre Pedersen Bjørdal

OperaMail free e-mail - http://www.operamail.com
OperaMail Premium - 28MB, POP3, more! US$29.99/year