why have I lost gedit???

Joe joe at tmsusa.com
Sun Sep 28 00:11:14 UTC 2003

Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Saturday, Sep 27, 2003, at 16:51 US/Pacific, Elton Woo wrote:
>
>> I recently installed the NVidia drivers, using export
>> IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
>> in order for the module to be complied with the default Fedora kernel.
>

> You should have changed the $CC variable instead to the version of gcc
> included with Fedora that matches the gcc that was used to compile the
> kernel.  Mismatching GCCs for kernel modules can lead to breakage.
>
> For that matter, I don't know if anybody should be using Nvidia
> drivers with the beta, as it will corrupt any reasonable kernel issue
> found, as it will be tainted.

Well, unless I want embarrasingly slow software emulation of 3D stuff,
and missing features needed by the media players, I need the "evil"
commercial nvidia driver.

But agreed, don't mask the problem with IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH, but rather
set CC=gcc32 and build the driver.

Joe
--
happily running nvidia accelerated 3D video on 8.0.94