Performance testing (pass 1)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Sep 28 04:47:19 UTC 2003

> The
> current code base should be mostly there.  I'm not sure about huge
> projects like OO or even mozilla.

I had little trouble getting mozilla-1.4 from mozilla.org's redhat
contrib to prelink fine on RH9. I _did_ have to
	cd /usr/lib/mozilla
	prelink --ld-library-path=`pwd`:`pwd`/components * components/*
to make it find the libraries it needs, but it did then work fine. I
couldn't get OpenOffice (1.1RC5) to prelink, however - even when told
where they were, it didn't want to find all the libs.

2319:     runtime linker statistics:
2319:       total startup time in dynamic loader: 339993 clock cycles
2319:                 time needed for relocation: 2895 clock cycles (.8%)
2319:                      number of relocations: 0
2319:           number of relocations from cache: 29
2319:                time needed to load objects: 240531 clock cycles
(70.7%)

Craig Ringer