more comments on Fedora Core

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Sep 29 16:35:00 UTC 2003

shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> The order of lines in the hosts file doesn't
>> matter.
>

> and i could bet that the order of lines does matter  ;-)
>
> 192.168.0.100   horseshit
> 192.168.0.101   horseshit
> 192.168.0.200   bullshit
> 192.168.0.201   bullshit

Ok, you got me.  My phrasing was too strong, when what I really meant
was "the order of lines isn't relevant, and won't affect, the problem
being discussed".

[snip clarification]
> thanks for the clarification.
>
> since rhl 6.x i could always solve the long sendmail startup with
>
> 127.0.0.1   hostname hostname.localdomain localhost localhost.localdomain
>
> without "search localdomain" in /etc/resolv.conf

Did you have any "search" list?  Just curious.  I'm not sure when the
resolver would try to look up that name, but if it works...  :)