RPM is totally fubar'd after hitting some kind of time-warp?

KSC m0par at cox.net
Tue Sep 30 02:42:01 UTC 2003

Whoa... That is weird...

After installing 0.94, everything seemed peachy. I then installed
various packages via yum, and compiled additional src.rpms. Proceeded
to build vanilla 2.6.0-test6 and the nvidia module.

Everything still good to go.

Recompiled the kernel again as I forgot netatalk support and rebooted.

Went to do a yum update and yum bombs out with python errors and a
message saying that /var/cache/yum/<some-file> didn't exist.

Lo and behold, the /var/cache/yum directory didn't even exist.

Created the directory to see what that would get me, and then I notice
that yum reported 404 errors due to it believing $releasever is 9.0.93

Ran up2date and it also thought the system was 9.0.93.

cat /etc/redhat-release reports Fedora Core release 0.94 (Severn)

rpm -q redhat-release reported not-installed. So I did a rpm --rebuilddb

rpm now reports redhat-release-9.0.93-4. What?

It is reporting all kinds of old 9.0.93 packages, although the new
packages are installed, and during 0.94 install, I told it to format
everything but my separate /home partition.

Seeing as how it was far from a stock 0.94 install, I don't expect any
help, and certainly couldn't file a bug report, but I thought I would
send it to the list to see if anyone has experienced anything of the
sort.

How the heck did it pull 9.0.93 packages out of its butt when the
partitions were supposedly formatted? Hit a glitch in the space-time
continuum?

I won't have time to reinstall until this weekend. :( Keeping my fingers
crossed that she holds together until then...