if (xorg-0.6.6-0.2004_03_30.1 & ATI) Fatal Server Error;

ByteEnable ByteEnable at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 4 00:45:18 UTC 2004

I compiled and installed (FC1) xorg-0.6.6-0.2004_03_30.1.  I have an ATI
Mobility 7500 video chip in my laptop.  If I try to load the DRI module, I
get the following error (non-dri works):

Symbol gnu_dev_makedev from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libdrm.a is
unresolved!

Fatal Server error:
Caught signal 4.  Server aborting

Any help greatly appreciated.

Byte

P.S.
Another observation is that the fonts in AA mode have tints of red.
XFree86-4.4 had this same problem, except worse.  From the troubleshooting I
did in XFree 4.4, it seems Red Hat had made a custom patch for Gnome AA stuff
and XFree86.
To get rid of the problem, I just run gnome-font-properties once with xorg and
the problem is gone.  However, with non patched Red Hat XFree86-4.4, no
matter what I did, I could not get the AA fonts to work properly with FC1.
Keep in mind I'm using KDE 3.2.1 which also has its own AA settings.