policy-1.9.2-9 causes kernel panic during boot

J. Scott Farrow jsfarrow at comcast.net
Mon Apr 5 03:24:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 11:27, Fred New wrote:
> In my FC2T2 system, I upgraded from policy-1.9.2-5 to policy-1.9.2-9
> and ended up with (as I recall) the following files in
> /etc/security/selinux:
>
> file_contexts
> file_contexts.rpmnew
> policy.
> pllicy.16.rpmsave
>
> With no guidance on what to do, I renamed file_contexts.rpmnew to
> file_contexts, but I left the policy files as they were.
>
> Upon booting, init would fail to load the policy, this would be
> immediately followed by a kernel panic.  Could I have renamed one of
> the policy files to recover?  I have since re-installed FC2T2 (just
> for the practice).
>
> By the way, in the above situation, appending "selinux=0" to the
> kernel parameters in the grub boot screen wouldn't allow me to
> recover.  It still attempted to load the policy; a kernel panic would
> again result.  Does this parameter actually do anything?

The same thing happened to me when I used yum to upgrade my policy rpm.
I recovered from this by booting the rescue image off the first iso
disk, and editing /etc/sysconfig/selinux to :

SELINUX=0

I'm wondering the same thing about the kernel option myself.

Once you've booted, you need to remove and reinstall the policy
package.  You should have an /etc/security/selinux/policy.16 file.  Your
rpm update failed for some reason.

- J. Scott Farrow