Yum and x86_64?

Jonathan Corbet lwn-fedora-test at lwn.net
Mon Apr 5 18:25:23 UTC 2004

I'm still getting used to this "yum" thing...in general I find it quite
slow when compared with apt, but functional.

I do often get problems like this, though:

	# yum update perl
	Server: Fedora Core 1.91 - Development Tree
	Finding updated packages
	Downloading needed headers
	Resolving dependencies
	Dependencies resolved
	I will do the following:
	[update: perl 3:5.8.3-17.x86_64]
	Is this ok [y/N]:

After I agree, I (eventually) get a pile of those "retrygrab() failed for:"
messages that seem to be so common.

So, I'm curious: am I just running into mirror problems, or does the x86_64
repository often go out of sync with its associated headers?

FWIW, my yum.conf has this, currently:

[development]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
baseurl=ftp://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/pub/fedora/development/
         http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/development/
         http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development

Thanks,

jon