FC2 test 2 and wireless?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 5 19:15:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Mark G. Spencer wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if someone could share their experience with FC2 test 2 and
> wireless.  Specifically,
>
> 1.)  What wireless driver is being used for Prism2/2.5/3 chipsets?  If
> Orinoco, is it the latest alpha w/ monitor mode included?  Or the last
> release with monitor mode patch?

I have a lucent wavelan silver card (prism-1 ?) It used to work with
rawhide kernels with orinoco_cs driver. Currently it doesn't work with
kernel-2.6.4-1.305.  The driver get loaded - but the lights on the
card don't blink.. Hmm..

> 2.)  How difficult is it to install madwifi for Atheros chipsets?  Is there
> a RPM to do this?

Installation is easy - get the cvs (as per instructions at madwifi
website) and do : 'make; make install'

However the latest cvs doesn't work with the 2.6 kernel for me
(network activity stopps after a while). And unloading the driver
gives 'segfault'.

Satish