Please turn SELinux off by default (was: Re: Howto turn off selinux? ) (Douglas Furlong)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Apr 5 22:28:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 14:47, Gene C. wrote:
> On Monday 05 April 2004 17:16, Brian Bober wrote:
> > Douglas Furlong wrote:
> > > The main reason this is turned on by default is to increase the amount
> > > of testing it receives before going mainstream in to a non test
> >
> > I agree with this, and as its mentioned on the front page, testers
> > shouldn't complain. As for Core 2 final release, I don't think that there
> > has been enough testing, along with enough documentation, and any
> > configuration tools to have it enabled by default.
>
> I plan to run selinux enforcing=1 on my systems regardless of the default.
> But I can understand that this may not be appropriate for many users ... just
> yet.
>
> However, I don't believe that it should be disabled.  Instead, run selinux in
> permissive mode by default if it still is not ready for prime time (mostly
> dealing with policy not the code).

I disabled it on my system at install since I don't personally want to
fuss with it at this point in time - but it should not be disabled at
install by default - I agree, I think permissive should be the default.
But for the test releases, people shouldn't be running test releases on
hardware they can't afford to have issues with - so the current default
makes it easier to find problems with this wicked new technology.

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/