Sound messed up

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 01:37:43 UTC 2004

I have an on-board C-Media CM8738 sound card.  It has worked fine in
everything including FC1.  It seems to not work at all until I run
system-config-soundcard and then it will play the test sound and I can
play test sounds in Start Here > Preferences > Sound.  The boxes labeled
Enable sound server startup and Sounds for events are both checked.
However, I do not hear the event sounds I do in FC1.

I cannot get an ogg file to play.  If I click on a .ogg file, Media
Player opens and the file name scrolls by, but I get a dialog "Couldn't
open audio.  Please check that your soundcard is configured properly,
You have the correct output plugin selected, No other program is
blocking the soundcard."

If I insert a music cd into the drive, cd player starts and acts like it
is playing, but no sound.

My /etc/modprobe.conf is:
[root at gstpc gerry]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 8139too
alias 0.0.0 8139too
alias sound-slot-0 snd-cmipci
install snd-cmipci /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-cmipci &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-cmipci { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-cmipci
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd

Any suggestions?

Gerry Tool