Sound messed up

Xavier Bachelot xb_ml at kelkoo.net
Tue Apr 6 13:21:18 UTC 2004

Gerry Tool wrote:
> I have an on-board C-Media CM8738 sound card.  It has worked fine in
> everything including FC1.  It seems to not work at all until I run
> system-config-soundcard and then it will play the test sound and I can
> play test sounds in Start Here > Preferences > Sound.  The boxes labeled
> Enable sound server startup and Sounds for events are both checked.
> However, I do not hear the event sounds I do in FC1.

So your sound card is a least working, if you do hear sound from the
setup app :-)

> I cannot get an ogg file to play.  If I click on a .ogg file, Media
> Player opens and the file name scrolls by, but I get a dialog "Couldn't
> open audio.  Please check that your soundcard is configured properly,
> You have the correct output plugin selected, No other program is
> blocking the soundcard."

Check out that the media player (xmms ?) is using alsa output plugin
Also check that the channels are not muted (use amixer from CLI or a
mixer applet from KDE or Gnome)

> If I insert a music cd into the drive, cd player starts and acts like it
> is playing, but no sound.
>
> My /etc/modprobe.conf is:
> [root at gstpc gerry]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias eth0 8139too
> alias 0.0.0 8139too

not related but this line is wrong, delete it.

Cheers,

Xavier