Anyone else having trouble with esddsp?

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Wed Apr 7 11:00:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 02:58, Trond Are Haugland wrote:

> >From the manpage of esddsp: esddsp - attempt to reroute audio device to esd.
> I think attempt is the keyword here, esd doesn't really have a history of
> robustness :)

Thanks for the response.  It could be that every test case I have tried
happens to use mmap or something.  It's just that I have not found a
single test case that worked.

> On a sidenote, it's egoistic of you to post your question several times,
> imagine if everyone did that.

Sorry if it seems that way.  However, I have reasons for caring about
the answer to this question which go beyond simple inconvenience to
myself.  I have some windows->linux desktop conversion projects going in
which I expect this to become an issue soon, and have already hit some
embarrassing snags.  For example, evolution taking over 5 minutes to
print any email composed in Arial font because it was trying to include
an entire Chinese ttf font in the PS file, and actually crashing some
printers with an out of memory condition.  It's RH's reputation and
future in my organization that I am so nervous about.  If it were just
me, I'd let it slide.

Also, I have come to notice, and finally to expect, that any question
that I post on any mailing list which involves using X remotely, in
particular, remote sound issues, typically is met with an eerie silence,
as if "nobody ever does that".  Google searches on the topic tend to
turn up little or nothing; Often just someone else asking the same
question 2 years ago and never getting any response at all in all that
time.  Odd, since I strongly believe that the next wave of Linux desktop
use, the corporate desktop, will depend heavily on networked X
terminals.

Thanks,
Steve