Spatial Nautilus or windows training

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Wed Apr 7 23:47:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 12:06, Steve Bergman wrote:

> I also detest spatial.  I've tried to like it.  I've asked others what
> they like about it and tried to appreciate those features.  And I still
> despise spatial.

And everyone else seemed to - change is hard, but everyone gets used to
it. Mac OS X is simple today and simplicity is key - there are plenty of
arguments as to why to go spatial

> I think the really important question, though, is which is easier for
> new users.  And I can't help but feel that spatial makes things
> unnecessarily confusing to the novice and hides too many features that a
> novice *would* want.  It's a simple switch in gconf.  I strongly believe
> that fedora should ship with spatial turned off by default.  More
> advanced users will know how to turn it on if they want it.

No, because GNOME 2.6 ships with spatial mode Nautilus turned on, and a
key to being a "good member" with regards to Fedora is to not fiddle too
much with what upstream is providing

> I'm curious, was spatial just someone's neat idea or is it backed up by
> some sort of usability study, or commonly accepted UI principles?

Plenty of usability studies. Read desktop-devel-list at gnome archives, or
even usability at gnome. Many websites out there have links to stating why
its useful, its not only the OS X feature... Ars Technica had a writeup
that did bear a lot of influence on the GNOME team though
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/