VMware 4.x and FC2T2 - no X - X worked for FC2T1

Jeremy A. Rosengren jeremy at rosengren.org
Thu Apr 8 06:30:52 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> I am trying to setup the GUI for my vmware installation of test2 and
> cannot get X to work yet.
>
> I am able to retrieve updates using up2date and downloaded the xorg-x11
> updates. It was still installing the new xorg-x11 packages when the
> workday was done. I haven't tried to setup X with the newest rawhide
> packages yet.
>
> The strange thing was that the installer worked fine in the GUI mode and
> completed successfully. I was surprised that X didn't start for
> firstboot. I didn't check if xfs was running or not. (post-install)
>
> I did not enable SELinux for this installation. The driver that X wants
> to use is the VMware driver.
>
> Any clues to either getting X to eventually work with newer versions of
> certain rpms would be appreciated.
>
> This is on a Dell 2.4 GHz processor. I'm not sure how vmware emulates
> hardware without the toolkit installed. I only started using vmware
> recently.
>

> Jim

The reason X under VMware doesn't work in FC2T2 is because the
vmware-config-tools.pl setup script hasn't been modified to search for
Xorg -- it still attempts to look for the XFree86 version and ends up
failing because XFree86 isn't there.

There's a line in the script (which I don't have in front of me or I'd
paste the text) that searches for the XFree86 version or returns 0.0.0.
  If you change the 0.0.0 to 4.4.0, then /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl
script will complete.

Note:  the vmware-config-tools.pl script still has a problem building
the vmhgfs module, but that doesn't pertain to getting X to run and can
be ignored until VMware fixes things.

-- jeremy