815 chipset - kernel-2.6.5-1.315 hosed badly

I just tried to boot my computer with the kernel-2.6.5-1.315 kernel and noticed that the kernel does not seem to honor the SELinux permissive mode that I requested in /etc/sysconfig/selinux. It is set to SELINUX=permissive. It asks for policy for both root and a regular user. It locks up at a blank screen in graphics mode. The computer does not respond to any keyboard entries and has to be hard reset.

With the earlier kernel that I am running. kernel-2.6.4-1.298 does not ask me for policy and I can log in and am not asked for an SELinux profile on either my root or regular user account.

I don't know if SELInux is causing X to hardlock on loading or if there is something wrong within the kernel build for the kernel-2.6.5-1.315 version. It is hosed badly in my environment.
Since I had to do a boot after a hard reset. I scanned the filesystems and reiserfs was checked for it's journal. It is not however working after the computer boots up. Another strike against the configuration of this kernel version.

Jim