4KSTACKS again

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Tue Apr 13 19:33:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 16:24, William Hooper wrote:

> > I think it would be nice that, in the future, if these sort of options
> > are being mainlined, that the Fedora kernels should retain them as
> > options (enabled/disabled as appropriate for their future status) until
> > such time as they do become mainlined.  It would prevent this kind of
> > unnecessary angst.
>
> And testing code that Fedora has no intention to ship helps how?

The supplied kernel *wouldn't* be testing it (re-read the part above in
parenthesis).  But it also wouldn't freeze out people who *need* the
options to use their machines.  I should think that a kernel with the
4KSTACKS option turned off but built from the Fedora kernel package
would be a more valid test kernel (even if it's not a supplied kernel)
than one built directly from the stock kernel source (which is what
people need to do now to get past the unnecessary and artificial
limitation imposed by the Fedora kernel team).

> If it is going away in the mainline it doesn't make much sense to be doing
> testing on it.  This is the same reason SELinux is turned on by default,
> so it gets tested.

I'm not arguing that.  I'm just saying it's more friendly to the
end-users to supply the option.  Removing it prematurely just leads to
unnecessary frustration and annoyance... and threads like this one :-)

Ben
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves