Extended ACL's where for arent thou extended ACL's?

Gavin Graham g.graham at orrcon.com.au
Tue Apr 13 22:01:58 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I am curious as to why the extended ACL's are not enabled at the point in time where the filesystem(s) are created - particularly during the installation process).
As I understand it, they can be enabled two ways: 1) By setting the ACL mount option in /etc/fstab or 2) Set the ACL flag on the filesystem with tune2fs.
I would suggest that option two is more graceful as it doesn't change the fstab settings.

The reason why I ask this is for "out of the box" usability. You don't see people installing Win2K or higher and having to make one of the first post-installation tasks they do is enable extended ACL's.
...So why should we???

This would be really handy for anyone who is setting up a NFS or CIFS fileserver.

Your thoughts/comments on this is appreciated.

Regards,

--
Gavin Graham
Systems Operations Supervisor