Re; 4KSTACKS again.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Apr 14 03:25:32 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Ben Steeves <bcs at metacon.ca> said:
> I simply don't understand why the option has to be taken out early.  Why
> not just ship a kernel with it turned on by default... wouldn't that be
> equivalent?

This is a test release and development tree, leading up to a release in
a month or two (I don't remember the schedule off the top of my head).
The idea of a test release is to test as much as possible of what the
final release will look like.

Now, it looks like in a month or two, this option will be in the
"mainline" kernel (and turned on by default).  Would you rather:

a) the FC test releases wait until this change occurs in the mainline
   kernel and _then_ test it (maybe only a week before the FC2 release)?

b) wait until mainline makes the change and then decide it is too close
   to FC2 release to make such a change, and have to patch it back out
   of kernels for Fedora (i.e. making FC kernels more different from the
   kernel.org source)?

These are the only two real options.  The whole idea of testing is to
test things and find bugs before release.  Since it looks like 4K stacks
will be in the kernel before FC2 release, they need to be tested _now_.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>