Re; 4KSTACKS again.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 22:40:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 23:02, Andy Ross wrote:

> Just so you are aware: the current kernel snapshot (which is a little
> under 9 hours old as I write this) has a configurable CONFIG_4KSTACKS
> option, and it defaults to N.  They *did* make it a configure option.
> The FC2 kernels, alone among publically available kernel sources, have
> removed that option.

The config option in 2.6.6 will be going away.
Read the comments from the commit message...

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.5/testing/cset/cset-akpm@osdl.org%5Btorvalds%5D|ChangeSet|20040412201843|35466.txt
In particular this part..

# At present 4k stacks are selectable in config.  When the feature has
settled
# in we should remove the 8k option.  This will break the nvidia modules.  But
# Fedora uses 4k stacks so a new nvidia driver is expected soon.

> This is the essence of the complaint: the FC2 kernel is not simply
> tracking the Linus tree, it's actively pushing development in a
> direction that makes it impossible for NVidia users to test their 3D
> stuff under FC2*.

Mainline is going that way too. It just might happen after FC2.
Testing 8KB stacks is worthless to FC2 testing.

> Some people think that is a poor choice, and would
> like the Red Hat folks to rethink the decision before the release.

Not going to happen.

	Dave