Where's My Alert Bell

Jonathan Pryor jonpryor at vt.edu
Sat Apr 17 22:58:46 UTC 2004

First time caller and all that.  I checked the archives; nothing
immediately relevant came up in the search page.

I'm running Fedora Core Test 2.

Question: How do I actually *hear* the alert bell?  The standard alert
bell, as generated by the C '\a' escape sequence, or by running "echo
$'\a'" under bash.

I'm running Gnome.  All I see is the window border blink, which makes
sense, considering that Sound Preferences "System Bell -> Visual
feedback -> Flash window titlebar" is selected.

However, "Sound an audible bell" is also selected, and I hear nothing.

I do have my speakers set up, and I can play ogg files normally, so I
don't think it's a problem with my speaker setup.

Ideas?

 - Jon