yum / http proxy / downloads stop

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 18 20:36:10 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Darrell Esau wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Can't seem to find anything in the archives --
>
> Trying to update a FC1 box behind an HTTP proxy.
>
> I've set http_proxy, and yum generally works except for one annoying problem:
> Downloads of packages start well but then just stop (at some random
> percentage).  Sometimes they start again (after several minutes) .. sometimes
> they dont.  Hitting CTRL-C will sometimes wake up the transfer and it will
> begin to transfer again (usually from 0%).
>
> It generally takes several attempts to get the package downloaded.
>
> If I download the package directly from the FTP server (just using FTP through
> the proxy), everything works fine.
>
> Is this just a proxy thing, or do other people see this as well?

I might have seen this - but not sure.. I know I had some problems
with http (no proxy).  Perhaps it was the same thing. Now I primarily
use ftp urls. However I do see hangs occasionally with ftp (for eg:
after completing a .hdr download). It just sits there. Ctrl-C snaps it
out of it - and it continues with the next file download.

Satish