ftp/http install

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Mon Apr 19 13:17:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 21:04, Carlos Villegas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:13:39AM -0400, Lucas Jordan wrote:
> > Hello, I am new to this list....
> >    I have been trying to install fedora test 2 core 2 over the internet
> > via http or ftp with no luck. I have created the boot cd from the
> > boot.iso that is in the "images" directory under the os directory on the
> > download pages. I get to the point in the install where i have entered
> > the ftp server name and red hat directory, the installer then says
> > "Retrieving Fedora/base/stage2.img..." then it says "The Fedora Core
> > installation tree in that directory does not seem to match your boot media"
> >
> > I assume this meens that the boot.iso is from an older version (fedora
> > core 1?) and will not actually install fedora core 2 test 2. how do i
> > install via http or ftp?
>
> The reasonable way to do it (IMHO) is to get the dvd image, grab the
> isolinux files and make a cd with them, and put the Fedora
> tree on your http/ftp server and use that to install from there. After you
> are done you can update using yum (yum -y update).

Personally I think FTP/HTTP installs are a much better way of doing it,
especially if you are installing to just one machine, and are unlikely
to continue re-installing.

The reason why I say this is that an FTP install will only install the
required applications, and as such should inevitable lead to less usage
of bandwidth from the sites you would be downloading from.

E.G. The DVD ISO is around 3 gig? Of that how much do you actually need?
700meg? The DVD ISO contains lots of data the average users is unlikely
to ever require.

I did two HTTP installs of FC1 at home the other day, and it only took
about 2 hours for the both. It gives a nice little timer showing how
long for each package to download, all very nicely done.

In short, i would recommend downloading the 4 meg boot.iso burning that,
and doing the rest over an Internet connection if you have the luxury.

Doug