fedora core -test-2 install problem on hp nx 9000 notebook

Saad Liaquat Kiani saad.kiani at niit.edu.pk
Tue Apr 20 10:58:58 UTC 2004

Hi,
Sorry if this topic has been addressed before. I tried installing fedora
core 2 test 2 on a notebook : HP nx9000 2.4 GHz 512 MB RAM. It boots and
installs just fine (custom installation options). After reboot (once
installation is done .. )bootloader screen appears ... (dual boot with
win XP) and selecting redhat option takes me to bot sequence .... still
everything is fine .... the graphical screen of loading/startup appears,
I get enough time to press "Show Details" hyperlink ... I can see it
enters interactive mode ... and then a line appears stating some warning
but before I have time to read what it says ... the screen goes blank
...the computer is still running, there is no hard disk activity ..
probably no CPU activity too but I am not sure ...
I reinstalled with minimum installtion option .. and it works fine .. I
can boot, login and everything ... ofcourse no X server is installed in
this scenario ..... therefore, guessing that things are fine (otehr than
X srver probably) I re install with 'Everything' option ... again .. i
get a blank screen after installtion adn booting ...
unfortunately I cannot provide any logs as I had some urgent work to do
and I reinstalled another distro after formatting the et3 partition ...

The notebook has an ATI IGP 340M 64MB chip (Fedora core 1 pics it
withsome basic drivers with no problem ) ... may be i am guessing wrong
and the problem is not with X  Server (since it does show the graphical
anyways .. if anyone can point anything interesting regarding all this
... I am not too eager to solve the problem but more improtantly I am
hoping that redhat engineers will note this and see if its worthy of
attention or not .....

thanx
saadi