yum problem glibc x86_64

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 19:12:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 02:31:27PM -0400, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I think I'm making some progress.  My guess about the problem is correct.
> There are also issues with some other packages, including openldap, which
> also has multiple versions.
>
> I believe this is a serious problem for yum to deal with.  I suspect what it
> needs to do is to treat these multiple versions as completely independent
> packages, with independent dependencies.

Yes, and no, there is still the issue of files (such as docs, etc) which
are identical between the i386 and x86_64 versions.  Since they are
identical, there is no conflict, but as soon as you try to upgrade one
arch, and not the other, the file would no longer be identical.  As a
result, you need to update both i386 and x86_64 at the same time.

Also, is this running FC2? If so, where are you pointing for your updates?
I have been updating daily from yum, and not run across this yet when
running against a complete sync (check the package count, if it is
incomplete, find another mirror).  I have run across the ocasional bad dep
issue, but all of them so far have been valid package bugs, not yum issues.

Justin