up2date still quite unusable [test 3 x86_64]

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Mon Apr 26 01:24:10 UTC 2004

Peter Boy wrote:
> Unfortunately, up2date is still very hard to use. The problems are
> quite the same since Fedora Core 1  Test 1:
>
> -  program crashes in various situation, no pattern recognizable
> -  feedback for the user is very sparse (esp. during the step
>    "testing package set / solving RPM inter-dep". You never know
>    weather it is still working of crashed already
> -  quite sensitive to bandwith problems / overloaded servers
> -  quite unusable for doing high volume updates in one step
>
> just to name a few. Those are the days of a robust and fairly usable
> program for access of Red Hat Network.
>
> Given the fact that these are long lasting problems, fixing them is
> obviously a hard task. Wouldn't it be better and more efficient to
> discard up2date for Fedora and dedicate it to the Enterprise line and
> Red Hat Network? (where it used to serve very well) and to develop a
> graphical front end for yum, given the fact that yum is much more
> robust. And we would need (and maintain) only one config file.
>

> Peter

I like up2date and do not find many problems with it as of late. I think
there is great value to keep it  local directory, apt and yum repository
capable and ready to do RHN network retrieval, if you have an RHN account.

Yum and apt, as active alternative updating tools, should carry their
own GUI tool versions or be developed with close attention being paid to
any improvements or removing of capabilities yum might change in its
structure.

Keep up2date going. I don't use 64-bit yet. I'm not sure what effects it
has on yum or up2date.

Jim
I thought