Device '/dev/kmem' and patches on Fedorakernel.

maillist at wolke7.net maillist at wolke7.net
Tue Apr 27 00:25:02 UTC 2004

Hi Matias, hi Paul, hi Maillist,

ok, i'll check the clean kernel and the one from src.rpm soon,
but knows anybody here, which patch in the default Fedora-Kernel
brings me this "cat: /dev/kmem: Operation not permitted"
(SELinux is disabled) and how i can disable this behaviour?

I need implicitly this Feature AND i would rather use the
default Fedora-Kernel :)

TIA
Marco

> Le mar 27/04/2004 à 01:48, maillist at wolke7.net a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > a little C&P:
> >
> > fc2t2>id
> > uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
> > groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)
> > context=root:staff_r:staff_t
> > fc2t2>ls -la /dev/kmem
> > crw-r-----  1 root kmem 1, 2 Feb 23 22:02 /dev/kmem
> > fc2t2>cat  /dev/kmem
> > cat: /dev/kmem: Operation not permitted
> > fc2t2>
> >

> > Which patch from the default Fedora-Kernel (fc2t2) is responsible
> > for this behaviour and how can i disable this security feature?
> >

> > My another important Question:
> > Is there a listing for all of the patches (security and another),
> > they are submitted for Fedorakernel?
>
> See the src.rpm package. All patchs are there.
>
> > Can i use the clean Linus-Kernel from kernel.org,
>
> Of course. Perhaps there are some troubles with SeLinux.
>
> >  or there are to make to many necessary adjustments
> > in order to use the clean Linus-Kernel ( Old_RedHat was here quite evil
> ;)
> > )?
> >
> http://lwn.net/Articles/80290/
>         Finally, there is a small set of bug fixes and patches to ease
>         the build process on various architectures. Overall, the Fedora
>         kernel suggests that, in Red Hat's view, not a whole lot needs
>         to be added to the 2.6 kernel (the upcoming 2.6.6 version, at
>         least) for it to be ready for wide use.
>

> > Thanks in Advance
> > Marco
>

> --