APT problem since 1.91

Richard Gardner noeffort at comcast.net
Tue Apr 27 19:17:48 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have been using apt-get since RH9 with few  problems, however I have seen a
problem when using

apt-0.5.15cncxx.fdr.xxx

currently using
apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.fdr.11.1.91

The specific problem is proxy related.  With the previous versions,
the /etc/apt/apt.conf
file had an entry which you could edit to specifiy your proxy server.

The newer (major) version has a slightly different syntax, and since the
inception of this change, I can now longer use apt-get from the command line.

I receive the following error:

[root at boomtown root]# apt-get update
Fetching list of repositories/mirrors...
E: Failed to fetch mirror list file:

the apt.conf is as follows:

**********************
// User customizable configuration

RPM
{
  // Uncomment to disable GPG-signature checking for packages
  // GPG-Check "false";
  // Uncomment to prevent kernel being handled along with (dist-)upgrade
  // Upgrade-Kernel "false";
  // Uncomment to hold packages with modified config files in (dist-)upgrade
  // Preserve-Config "true";
};

// Options for the downloading routines
Acquire
{
  Retries "1";
  // http::Proxy "http://user:password@proxy-server.domain.tld:port/";
   http::Proxy "http://proxy.xxxxx.com:8080/";
};
*************************
// where xxxx = my company's domain name.  This value is correct, no user at pass
is required.

At home, where this is no proxy, this version works as expected, and in fact
upon first pass, it prompted me for the mirrors to select.  Upon this (major)
version change, I do not get prompted for the mirror select, and when
explicitly running apt-get mirror-select I get:

[root at boomtown root]# apt-get mirror-select
Fetching list of repositories/mirrors...
E: Failed to fetch mirror list file:

BTW, Synaptic DOES work, after I had hand copied in the sources and mirrors
lists.  As it has it's own proxy configuration through the GUI.  However, I
do not like to use Synaptic, I prefer command line.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Noe.