IBM T30 Touchpad problems with FC2T3

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Wed Apr 28 12:10:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 22:08, Jason wrote:
> Does this happen with Windows too?  Believe it or not one of the screwiest
> things I ever saw at work was a T30 doing exactly what you're talking about,
> albeit it was a Windows laptops.  Swapping the dock station didnt do it; i
> was upgrading the BIOS on the T30 and all sorts of stupid stuff; in the end
> swapping out the mouse made it work...

Ugh, I really hope it's not a hardware problem, tho I'm beginning to
think it may be.  This morning, for the first time ever, I got a weird
message trying to come out of hibernation, something to the effect of:
"You've changed your hardware settings between the time the system was
suspended and now.  Please remove or re-install the hardware you changed
and try to resume again."  -- but I didn't change anything!!!  Sounds to
me like something's failing intermittently.  I hope that's not it!

> You might also want to make sure that the setting in the BIOS is set to
> automatic; though if you're using the touch pad at all i dont think it is
> set to disabled (i cant remember for the life of me what the exact behaviour
> is for the track[pad/stick] setting.

I haven't changed the BIOS settings in quite a while... maybe I should
try a BIOS update and see if that changes things...

> Other than that I'm fresh out of ideas as I don't use mine with a docking
> station/port replicator; just drop it wherever and go...  if that doesn't
> help I suppose I can see if I can duplicate it.

Thanks; It just seems weird that it was working all along and then
suddenly started failing so recently.  Of course, the touchpad has been
flakey (programatically) since before this: when I installed FC2T1, I
lost the tap-to-click ability and had to install the Synaptics driver to
get it working.  The weirder thing is that the Ultranav on my external
IBM keyboard still works normally (tap-to-click and everything).

I don't have Windows installed on this machine, so I can't test it's
behaviour there.
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves