Install kernel hangs

Mike Sowka msowka at sce.carleton.ca
Wed Apr 28 14:48:57 UTC 2004

Hello,

What happens:
- I boot with USB-key/CD-ROM and hit enter (or any other combination for
that matter, including: linux noprobe nofb skipdcc text)
- "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel" shows up, and that's
IT... i.e. system dead, hit-reset

System 101:
- Asus P4P800 (Intel 865PE chipset)
- P4 2.8 HT
- ATI Radeon 9200
- 2GB Ram
- 2 x S-ATA drives

I have the S-ATA drives set to Legacy... but besides, even with that I
should be able to get the kernel to boot and at least get to the point
where it probes the ATA hardware.

Note that I ran kernel 2.4.21 fine on this system.

And, most important, no unusual problems in the past 5 months of owning
the machine.

Any ideas?

Thank You,
Mike