OT - Journaling File Systems?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Apr 28 23:21:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 10:03, Edwards, Scott (MED, Kelly IT Resouces)
wrote:

> I'm completely confused now.  I have been under the impression that this
> was the main purpose for these (journaling) file systems?  I knew a guy
> that worked on BeOS and he claimed that you could flick the power on and
> off all day and it wouldn't lose data.  Am I doing something wrong?  Do
> I need to set a different mode or something on these file systems so
> that they can recover?

If you were using IDE drives, then forget it. Many IDE drives (or is it
the controller?) actually lie to the operating system, claiming they
sync'ed up certain parts of the data, while in fact they didn't.
That's one reason why big and important servers use SCSI.

Repeat the tests on a SCSI machine, that will be more relevant.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/