Woes continue for HP nx9000 notebook FC2 Test3

Mike Chambers mike at netlyncs.com
Thu Apr 29 12:30:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 06:27, Saad Liaquat Kiani wrote:
> Hi,
> Installing fedora core 2 on HP nx9000 notebook (2.4GHz, ati igp 340M 64
> MB vga ) is getting frustrating. I will appreciate if anyone can help me
> out here.
> I posted a message after installing FC2 test 2 here
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-April/msg02082.html .
> The installation proces is without any hitch. After installation adn
> first reboot, i switch to 'show details' to see what is going on. The
> last message that i get on the screen is something like this ... "X
> server not configured ... running x configuration' or something similair
> to that. The screen goes blank. System hangs. All known key
> combincations to bring t out of "Balck screen of death" fail. I force
> reboot. Now the system hangs even before i get mouse control to press
> the 'show details' link.
> I am a newbie. I dont know how to force startup in tet mode only, or
> failsafe or single user mode. Therefore I cannot provide any logs right
> now, but will surely do so if anyone can help me out with that ...
> thanx in advance
> saad

Well, to get to single user mode, try booting up computer until you see
grub starting with your kernel highlighted and counting down.  Before it
hits 0 and boots, hit the letter a(?).  That will bring up the
paramaters to pass to the kernel.  Just make sure there is a space after
the last word and put in the word "single" (no quotes) and hit enter.

You can then either edit /etc/inittab and find the line below...

id:5:initdefault:

Change it to read below..

id:3:initdefault: (change 5 to a 3)

Reboot and that should get you to run level 3 until you change it back.

If you need to try generic video driver, just edit the config
(XF86Config or xorg.conf) and change the radeon driver to maybe vesa to
see what that does.

Maybe someone else with some better advise can chime in.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt...Then it's hilarious!"